Basic principles of sound; generation and detection of sound; behaviour of sound in a material, factors affecting propagation of sound; the flaw detector, calibration blocks/DAC blocks; use of angled beam probes for weld scanning, calibration of equipments; welding processes and weld defects; practical exercises on test specimens containing simulated flaws; examination of parent plate, butt welds, interpretation and evaluation; instruction writing.
1. To explain the theoretical background of the techniques
2. To calibrate ultrasonic equipment
3. To measure the thickness of steel plates and determine levels of attenuation
4. To locate and evaluate laminations
5. To select the correct type of probe to examine welded butt joints in steel plate/pipes
6. To report on the location and size of defects in typical welded butt joints
7. To interpret code requirements
8. To meet the syllabus requirements for PCN Level 2.
Certification / Awarding Body
Entry Requirements (For Examination)
The minimum required duration of training, which includes both theoretical and practical elements, is: : Level 2 - 120 hours
The minimum duration for experience prior to or following success in the qualification examination is : Level 2 - 12 Months